It’s not too late to register for this Thursday’s CLE program at the University of San Francisco. See the particulars below.
Who’s in Charge Here?: The Role of Lawyers, Clients, Insurers, and Judges in Class Actions and Mass Tort Litigation
Presented by the Class Actions and Derivatives Suits, Consumer Litigation, and Mass Torts Committees
Thursday, June 19, 2014, 12:00pm – 7:00pm
University of San Francisco Law School, San Francisco, CA
FREE PARKING AND 2 ETHICS CREDITS!!
The Gulf Oil Spill, the 9-11 terrorist attacks, massive product recalls and credit card data breaches—these and other large-scale conflicts generate correspondingly massive litigation, requiring courts, parties, attorneys, and insurers to adapt to increasingly complex challenges. For this half-day CLE event, we have assembled a distinguished group of judges, academics, mediators, and counsel to discuss some of the most pressing issues facing the various stakeholders.
Our all-star panels will explore ethical and other standards for selecting and evaluating named class representatives; coverage and other current issues surrounding consumer data breach class actions; the balancing of individual plaintiffs’ interests in settlement of mass tort cases; and cutting-edge case management techniques gleaned for among the most tragic mass disasters of our time—the 9-11 attacks and the Gulf Oil Spill.
We are pleased to feature the Hon. Alvin Hellerstein, U.S. District Court for the S.D. of New York—who presided over the 9-11 cases; the Hon. Jon Tigar of the U.S. District Court for the N.D. of California; Tara Kelly, inside counsel at British Petroleum (Houston); Prof. Deborah Hensler of Stanford Law School; Assoc. Dean Joshua Davis of the University of San Francisco School of Law; Thomas Kang at the ACE Group (Los Angeles); and Jocelyn Larkin, Executive Director of the Impact Fund (Berkley), among our distinguished panelists. Lunch will be provided, and the program will be followed by a sponsored cocktail hour, providing ample opportunities for networking. Come join us for an enlightening afternoon!
- Whose Class Is It Anyway? –The Policy, Practice, and Ethics Behind the Search for Named Plaintiffs (Ethics CLE Credit Applied for)
- Recent Developments in Data Privacy Class Actions and Insurance Coverage
- It’s The Trees Not the Forest – Considering Individual Interests in Mass Torts Settlements
- Judicial Quasi-Class Actions – Managing MDL and mass tort litigation through judicial control over the appointment of lead counsel, attorneys’ fees, and cost-shifting
- Hon Alvin K. Hellerstein, U.S. District Court of the Southern District of New York
- Hon Jon S. Tigar, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- Professor Joshua Davis, University of San Francisco Law School
- Professor Deborah Hensler, Stanford University Law School
- Tara Kelly, British Petroleum, Houston, Texas
- Thomas Kang, ACE North American Professional Risk, Los Angeles
- Catherine Yanni, JAMS, San Francisco
- Jocelyn Larkin, Impact Fund, San Francisco
- Sheila Birnbaum, Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, New York, New York
- Paul Karlsgodt, BakerHostetler, Denver, Colorado (Program Co-Chair)
- Linda D. Kornfeld, Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP, Los Angeles
- Karen Menzies, Robinson Calcagnie Robinson Shapiro Davis, Newport Beach
- Andrew McGuinness, Ann Arbor, Michigan (Program Co-Chair)
- Rudy Perrino, Walsworth Franklin Bevins & McCall, Los Angeles
- Rosemarie Ring, Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP, San Francisco
- Christina Terplan, Clyde & Co., San Francisco
- Timothy Tomasik, Tomasik Kotin Kasserman, Chicago, Illinois
- Donna L. Wilson, Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, Los Angeles
Thanks to our Platinum Sponsors!
- University of San Francisco School of Law
- Heffler Claims Group
- Gilardi & Co. LLC
- Brown Claims Management Group
- Garden City Group
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Clyde & Co.